LORD MAYOR, SURPRISE GUESTS AND M&S TO HOST MACMILLAN’S WORLD’S BIGGEST COFFEE MORNING AT M&S MANCHESTER CAFÉ
Local event aims to help raise £1 million for charity
The Lord Mayor, Councillor Naeem ul Hassan, and some surprise special guests are joining forces with M&S to help launch a special World’s Biggest Coffee Morning event for Macmillan Cancer Support at the M&S Café in Manchester on Friday 27 September.
Starting at 10am, The Lord Mayor will help get the coffee morning and fundraising activities underway. These will include:
- Enjoy a coffee and cake at the M&S Café – 50p from every coffee will go towards Macmillan as well as a percentage of sales of cakes and sandwiches at the in store café.
- Put your culinary skills to in test and take part in the Best Biscuit competition to wind the best decorated biscuit. £50 gift card and hamper of goodies to be won.
- Network with local people and businesses while learning about and sampling a complimentary M&S Fairtrade coffee
- Try your luck at giant Connect 4.
- Treasure hunt in store to find the golden cakes hidden around the store – each golden cake is worth a free coffee!
Customers coming into M&S Manchester that morning will be joining over 5 million people across the UK who are expected to take part in coffee morning on the 27th. Macmillan is aiming to raise over £15million to help ensure that no one faces cancer alone. The drive comes as around 12,908 new people in Manchester are diagnosed with cancer every year.
Councillor Naeem ul Hassan, said: “This year’s World’ Biggest Coffee Morning is on track to raise an incredible £15 million that will go to paying for a raft of services to support people affected by cancer. I’m thrilled to help launch the event at M&S Manchester and hope people in Manchester come to the Café on the 27th to help raise lots of money for this incredible cause.”
Craig Taylor, Food & Hospitality Commercial Manager, at M&S Manchester, said: “The World’s Biggest Coffee Morning provides a great excuse to gather with friends, family, or work colleagues, put your feet up and enjoy a cuppa and a slice of cake and all in aid of a truly worthwhile charity.
“The event on the 27th will provide lots of fun activities for the whole family to enjoy and we hope all our customers can come along to show your support for a cause that affects so many of us.”
Rebecca Bishop, Area Fundraising Manager, said, “We are proud to be working with M&S for a fourth year and we would encourage everyone to come along on the 27th to the M&S Café at the Manchester store. There will be lots of exciting things happening in store and by simply enjoying a cup of coffee and a slice of cake, people can support us in our drive to ensure no one faces cancer alone.”
Macmillan’s World’s Biggest Coffee Morning calls on people across the country to gather with friends and family to hold a coffee morning. In addition, customers can also support the cause by going to over 300 M&S Cafés nationwide and buying:
- 14 select items sold in M&S Cafés. 5p of the retail selling value of these items will be donated to Macmillan;
- A Victoria Sponge cake from M&S Food halls. 20p of the retail selling value of this popular dessert will be donated to Macmillan;
- A cup of coffee – M&S will donate a further 50p for every coffee sold tomorrow;
- Specially-commissioned pin badges or Macmillan’s ‘Little Book of Treats’, which features recipes from supporters and celebrities.
Make time for what really matters by holding or attending a coffee morning. Visit www.macmillan.org.uk/coffee or call 0845 602 1246 or text COFFEE to 88080 to get your Coffee Morning Kit today.